With snow and cold temperatures predicted over the next several days, the City of South Bend would like to remind residents about the following:
Keep sidewalks and fire hydrants clear of snow
Public sidewalks in front of homes and businesses must be shoveled within 24 hours after snowfall has ended. If a fire hydrant is near your home or business, please shovel around it to keep them free of snow and ice. An easily accessible hydrant can save firefighters valuable time during a fire.
Don’t let water pipes freeze
With bitterly cold temperatures forecasted for the upcoming week, water pipes can freeze and burst, causing flooding and damage to homes. Below are tips to protect water pipes from freezing:
– Keep heating systems on, even if leaving home for a period of time. Thermostats can be set at a lower temperature but should be kept above 50 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent freezing pipes.
– Open sink cabinets to help keep pipes warm when heat is set at a lower temperature.
– Allow faucets to drip.
– Add insulation to pipes located in areas of the home that do not have good insulation.
Don’t crowd the plows
Motorists can help snow removal crews by giving plows extra space to work. Plows on snow trucks are wide, often crossing the centerline or shoulder of the road. Snowplow operators’ views are restricted – even though motorists may see them, operators may not see the motorists. Since snowplows travel below the speed limit, motorists should keep their distance, not tailgate nor attempt to pass the plow.
Be a good neighbor
Check on neighbors, specifically the elderly, to make sure they are okay or in need of assistance.
Community centers and Weather Amnesty available for staying warm
Venues Parks and Arts Community Centers are available during normal hours for residents who need to warm up. Locations and hours below:
– Charles Black Community Center – 3419 W. Washington Street
Hours: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 8pm, Friday: 9am – 3pm
– Howard Park Event Center – 219 S. St. Louis Blvd.
Hours: Monday – Friday: 8am – 8pm, Saturday & Sunday: Noon – 8pm
– Martin Luther King Jr Community Center – 1522 Linden Ave
Hours: Monday – Thursday: 9 am – 9 pm, Friday: 9am – 6:30pm
– O’Brien Fitness Center – 312 E. Walter St.,
Hours: Monday – Friday: 8am – 9pm, Saturday: 8am – 4pm, Sunday: 9am – 2pm
Residents who need overnight accommodations can seek shelter at Weather Amnesty, from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. nightly, at 506 S Main St. Because of severe weather, Weather Amnesty will temporarily extend its operating hours during the weekend of Feb. 6 and Feb. 7.