South Bend is a city committed to making its public buildings, programs and services accessible to the disabled under the ADA. It is a city where full employment opportunities exist for those with disabilities. It is further committed to meeting this goal at all times.
***2018 Title VI Plan for Non-Discrimination in City Services Programs & Activities under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Update to City 2103 ADA Transition Plan
This Plan (viewable here) was approved by the City’s Board of Public Works at its meeting January 10, 2019, and by the South Bend Common Council on January 14, 2019.
Citizens having any concern about accessibility of City owned facilities, sidewalks, crosswalks, curbs or City programs, services, or any other inquiries about the City’s policies for persons with disabilities should contact South Bend’s ADA Coordinator:
Aladean M. DeRose
1200 County City Bldg.
227 W. Jefferson Blvd.
South Bend, IN 46601
South Bend’s programs and initiatives under Title II of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) include:
- South Bend Human Rights Commission. This is the City agency for filing claims of discrimination in employment against employers located in South Bend, and claims about housing as to landlords, real estate agencies, brokers and others. The South Bend Human Rights Commission is located at 319 Niles Ave., Suite 150, South Bend, IN 46617. Phone: (574) 235-9355.
- ADA Transition Plan. This covers pedestrian facilities in the public right of way. It was approved by South Bend’s Board of Works January 8, 2013 and adopted by South Bend’s Common Council on January 28, 2013. This Plan addresses the removal of barriers for the disabled as to sidewalks, crosswalks and curbs. (Click below to view ADA Transition Plan and Common Council Ordinance No. 10219-13).
- TTY/TTD Number for Hearing Impaired: (574) 235-5567
- Accommodation for Hearing and Sight Impaired at Public Meetings. Accommodations are available for sight and hearing impaired persons at public meetings held by the City, its committees and agencies. Please contact appropriate City agency in advance to request such accommodation.
Click below for further information and forms:
- ADA Grievance Information:
- ADA Transition Plan
- ADA Policies
227 W Jefferson Blvd, Suite 1200S South Bend, IN 46601