Building Permits

 A completed application form, along with any other required documentation and the applicable fees, need to be submitted to the Department prior to a permit being issued. Go to appropriate link(s) below depending on the type of permit you require.


Application   Regulations    



What do I need a permit for?

New Home Application   Regulations    
New Modular/
Manufactured Home   
Application Regulations     
Addition Application Regulations     
Renovation Application Regulations     
Accessory Application Regulations     
Demolition Application Regulations  Utility Retirement Request Form Guidelines for Demolition


Fence (City Only) Application Regulations 
Temporary Tent/Trailer   Application Regulations 


Electric Permits  Application Regulations  Residential Rewire/Upgrade  
Plumbing Permits  Application Regulations 
AC/HVAC Permits  Application Regulations 


Application   South Bend Regulations St. Joseph County Regulations

CELL TOWERS           

Application   South Bend Regulations St. Joseph County Regulations

Active Permits Map

Want to know what properties in your neighborhood have active permits? Click here to find out.

Fees (Cash or Check Payment Only)

Please take 5 minutes to complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey

For more information contact the building department at 574-235-9554 or