The City of South Bend has been recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists. South Bend earned Bicycle Friendly Community status at the Bronze level in 2010 for its “remarkable commitments to bicycling.” South Bend was promoted to Silver status in 2018, making the City one of less than 150 communities in the United States to achieve designation at that level or higher.
During the process to develop City Plan (2006), the city's 20-year comprehensive plan, citizens identified encouraging bicycling as a form of transportation as a key priority. Since then, the City developed a long-term plan for a 125-mile South Bend Bikeway network, aggressively added new bicycle routes, completed work to finish the riverwalk system from Logan Street to Darden Road, and installed protected bike lanes downtown.
As of mid-2018, about 79.3 miles of priority bicycle routes have been established within the City. This total consists of protected bike lanes (1.1 miles), multipurpose paths separated from streets (18.4 miles), striped bike lanes (22.4 miles), and other designated on-street routes (37.4 miles).
- News Releases
- Mayor, County Parks Announce Community-wide Bike Event (March 2016)
- Mayor Buttigieg Dedicates Shared Lane Markings (May 2013)
- Northside Trail Opens, Scenic Path Links Downtown (October 2012)
- Mayor Buttigieg Dedicates Bicycle Wayfinding Signs (April 2012)
- Ceremony marks national ranking (April 2011)
- Final phase of Northside Trail moving forward (February 2011)
- Cities and county honored for government cooperation (Oct. 2010)
- South Bend named as a Bicycle Friendly Community (Sept. 2010)
- South Bend tops Indiana cities in bicycle commuting (May 2010)
- Connecting communities: Darden and Riverside Trails (May 2010)
- Long-term bike network to pass halfway point in 2010 (April 2010)
- Luecke announces 2009 additions to bicycle network (May 2009)
- Work begins on Riverside Trail for 2009 completion (March 2009)
- South Bend unveils comprehensive bicycle network (Sept. 2008)
- Luecke announces 13 miles of bicycle routes for 2008 (June 2008)
- Mayor's Proclamation: May 2012 Bike Month (May 2012)
- Colfax Avenue (Cultivate Colfax) Final Configuration (May 2010)
- Colfax Avenue (Cultivate Colfax) Information (April 2010)
- Notre Dame Avenue Bicycle Route Type Designation (August 2009)
- Washington Street Bicycle Lane Designation (June 2009)
- Twyckenham Drive Bicycle Route Upgrade (October 2008)
- South Bend Bicycle Master Plan (February 2018)
- South Bend Complete Streets Policy
- Urban Adventure Games
- Bike Michiana for Hospice
- Bike Michiana Coalition
- Bike Michiana Coalition is a local bicycle-advocacy organization with the primary goals of facilitating communication between other bicycle groups and promoting advocacy action when special needs arise in the community
- Northern Indiana Mountain Bike Association
For more information, contact the Department of Community Investment.