The City of South Bend has been recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists. South Bend, one of only 370 communities in the United States to be awarded Bicycle Friendly Community status, received this designation in 2010 for its “remarkable commitments to bicycling.”
During the process to develop City Plan (2006), the city's 20-year comprehensive plan, citizens identified encouraging bicycling as an alternate form of transportation as a key priority. Since then, the City developed a long-term plan for a 123-mile South Bend Bikeway network, aggressively added new bicycle routes, and completed work to finish the riverwalk system from Logan Street to Darden Road.
As of early 2016, about 72.5 miles of bicycle routes have been established within the City. This total consists of multipurpose paths separated from streets (17.7 miles), striped bike lanes (19.6 miles), and other designated on-street routes (35.2 miles).
- Mayors' Ride Map (May 2016)
- South Bend Bikeway Planning Map (February 2016)
- St. Joseph & Elkhart Counties Bicycle Map [BMC] (May 2012)
- Michiana Area Regional Bicycle Map [MACOG] (Spring 2013)
- Mayor, County Parks Announce Community-wide Bike Event (March 2016)
- Mayor Buttigieg Dedicates Shared Lane Markings (May 2013)
- Northside Trail Opens, Scenic Path Links Downtown (October 2012)
- Mayor Buttigieg Dedicates Bicycle Wayfinding Signs (April 2012)
- Ceremony marks national ranking (April 2011)
- Final phase of Northside Trail moving forward (February 2011)
- Cities and county honored for government cooperation (Oct. 2010)
- South Bend named as a Bicycle Friendly Community (Sept. 2010)
- South Bend tops Indiana cities in bicycle commuting (May 2010)
- Connecting communities: Darden and Riverside Trails (May 2010)
- Long-term bike network to pass halfway point in 2010 (April 2010)
- Luecke announces 2009 additions to bicycle network (May 2009)
- Work begins on Riverside Trail for 2009 completion (March 2009)
- South Bend unveils comprehensive bicycle network (Sept. 2008)
- Luecke announces 13 miles of bicycle routes for 2008 (June 2008)
- Mayor's Proclamation: May 2012 Bike Month (May 2012)
- Colfax Avenue (Cultivate Colfax) Final Configuration (May 2010)
- Colfax Avenue (Cultivate Colfax) Information (April 2010)
- Notre Dame Avenue Bicycle Route Type Designation (August 2009)
- Washington Street Bicycle Lane Designation (June 2009)
- Twyckenham Drive Bicycle Route Upgrade (October 2008)
- South Bend Complete Streets Policy
- Urban Adventure Games
- July 30, 2016: Teams of two will travel around Downtown South Bend, Mishawaka and the Notre Dame area utilizing the streets, waterways, bike paths, and even some “top secret” modes of transportation – all while solving clues that help them move on throughout the race.
- Bike Michiana for Hospice
- October 2, 2016: Bicyclists can enjoy great SAGs and their choice of six scenic routes in South Bend and surrounding areas for this fundraising ride.
- Bike Michiana Coalition
- Bike Michiana Coalition is a local bicycle-advocacy organization with the primary goals of facilitating communication between other bicycle groups and promoting advocacy action when special needs arise in the community
- Michiana Area Council of Governments' bicycle and pedestrian planning page
- Northern Indiana Mountain Bike Association
For more information, contact the Department of Community & Economic Development.