24/7 Product Availability
- City of South Bend Organic Resources Facility now offers 24 hour access for free self-loading compost and mulch. Please come and bring your containers, your truck/trailer and your shovels. Take as much as you like. This facility is monitored by a security system.
Please contact 311 or 574-233-0311 for further details:
- Compost is available
- Mulch is available
Please call ahead to 311 or 574-233-0311 to verify availability information.
You do not need to be a City resident to purchase or self-load compost or mulch.
South Bend Community Kompost is currently enrolled in the U. S. Composting Council Seal of Testing Assurance Program (STA). By being in this program, South Bend Community Kompost is tested by an independent certified lab. They test its physical, chemical, and biological properties. This benefits the consumers by letting them purchase compost for specific projects, gives them knowledge and beneficial characteristic of the Kompost, and assisting them in proper utilization of the Kompost.
For More information please go to: www.compostingcouncil.org
Organic Resources accepts credit/debit cards, cash, or checks.
We will no longer be loading vehicles without a tailgate.
- Compost and Mulch are free for those who load it themselves. You must bring necessary tools for self-loading!
- Compost or Mulch: $4.00 per yard up to 2 yards*
- Compost or Mulch: $8.00 per yard for 3 yards and up*
- $3.65 per YARD*
We accept the following items:
- branches and brush
- grass and garden clippings
- leaves, logs, and wood chips
- tree stumps with NO dirt
Items NOT Accepted:
- plastic bags
- dirt, sand, and rocks
- Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. EST. Closed on City-observed holidays.
- Last Loading/Dumping at 3:45 p.m.
- Non-Loading Hours:
- 12:30 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Office Closed (NO loading or dumping)
Directions to Organic Resources
4340 Trade Drive
South Bend, Indiana 46628
- Coming from South Bend: Take Bendix North to Nimtz Parkway. Follow Nimtz Parkway around the bend (0.7 of a mile) and turn left onto Trade Drive.
- Coming from the US 31 By-Pass: Take the Nimtz Parkway exit. Follow Nimtz Parkway until you get to Trade Drive and turn right.
*A cubic yard is approximately the size of a kitchen stove.