A vehicle is considered abandoned if it meets one of the following descriptions: on private property and over 3 years old, mechanically inoperable, and in a location visible from public property for 20 days OR on public property and partially dismantled or missing major mechanical parts OR on public property for a period of 3 days without being proven operable.
Litter Code Violation What is a litter violation?What is the litter abatement procedure?How do I report a litter violation?311 Process…
Vegetation Code Violation A litter violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint or an inspector observing…
How to check if a property has outstanding Code Enforcement violations, invoices, and fines When is How to check if…
Request an Interior Code Inspection Any person that resides in the city limits of South Bend can request an interior…
Grass and Weed Code Violation What properties can be cited with a Grass and Weed Code volation?What is the process…
- The inspector verifies the vehicle is considered abandoned according to Indiana State Law.
- The vehicle is ticketed with a red tag advising the owner that the vehicle must be proven operable or removed.
- If the vehicle owner has not complied within 72 hours, the vehicle is towed.
- If the vehicle is valued at under $500, the vehicle is sold for scrap immediately.
- If the vehicle is valued at over $500, the owners will receive written notification allowing them 15 days to reclaim their vehicle.
Click here to view Parking Guidelines and Abandoned Vehicle Brochure.
If you have an abandoned vehicle on your property and would like to sign a waiver permitting removal of the vehicle, please fill out this Waiver Form and submit it to our office.
Fax to: 574-235-7703
Mail/hand deliver to:Code Enforcement
Attn: Vehicle Waiver
1300 County-City Building
227 W. Jefferson Blvd.
South Bend, IN 46601
News & Announcements
227 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 1300 S South Bend, Indiana 46601