November 23, 2020
The City of South Bend announces the upcoming holiday trash pickup schedule as well as the end-of-season schedule for yard waste.
During the week of November 23, Thursday’s trash and yard waste collection will be delayed by one day due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Service will take place on Friday, November 27.
This week’s trash and yard waste schedule is:
- Monday, November 23: Normal pickup
- Tuesday, November 24: Normal pickup
- Wednesday, November 25: Normal pickup
- Thursday, November 26: Thanksgiving holiday, no service
- Friday, November 27: Pickup in areas normally serviced on Thursday
The City’s weekly yard waste program is approaching its end of season. While it typically runs April 1 through November 30, the City is extending its program an additional week. The program will run through Thursday, December 3.
Yard waste extra pickups will start again Monday, December 7. Even though weekly yard waste pickups will have ended, residents can still schedule one free monthly yard waste extra pickup of up to 10 30-gallon biodegradable paper bags or a cubic yard of tied limbs by submitting an online form at southbendin.gov/ywextrapickup or calling 311. Additional pickups more than ten 30-gallon biodegradable bags or a cubic yard of tied limbs will be charged at $10 per cubic yard.
For yard waste extra pickups, residents need to follow these guidelines:
- All bags must be the brown, biodegradable paper leaf bags and completely void of any trash debris.
- Branches need to be cut to four (4) feet or shorter, be no more than four (4) inches in diameter and tied securely with twine into manageable bundles.
- All items must be curbside by 6:00 a.m. on trash pickup day and away from any cars, containers, mailboxes, trees or any other obstructions. Items cannot be under any powerlines or branches.
- No household trash, food waste or plastic of any kind will be accepted