September 15, 2002 — The City of South Bend’s Department of Public Works is issuing a progress report and update on the 2022 street paving and repair work. Paving work is currently underway with over 35 lane miles completed to date between City crews and work bid out to area contractors. Paving work is being bid out in phases to ensure contractors will have the capacity to complete it. Residents can follow the progress at southbendin.gov/paving.
Many of the paving bids are coming in higher than budgeted due to inflation and contractor capacity. Due to contractor capacity, the City is forced to push some of the streets identified earlier this year for paving to next year. Work will be bid out in coming weeks so that contractors can begin as soon as the weather allows next spring.
A list of streets that will now be completed next year are below. The City is aware that some of these streets are in poor condition and are determining a way to do temporary patches in the coming weeks where possible before performing full paving treatment next year.
- Ameritech Drive & Cleveland Road intersection
- Eastmont Drive from Riverside to Northlea drives
- Hill Street from Jefferson Boulevard to Colfax Avenue
- Jackson Road from Fellows to Miami streets
- Miami Street from Calvert Street to Ireland Road*
- Rainbow Drive from Southlea Drive to cul-de-sac
- Sample Street from Bendix Road to Illinois Street
- Sheridan Street from Lincoln Way West to Keller Street (parking lane only)
*City crews will perform a temporary patch in the coming weeks on the worst portions of Miami Street to get it through the winter season. Paving the entire street segment listed above will occur in 2023.