What are the terms of South Bend Municipal Utilities service?
- The South Bend Municipal Utilities Rules and Regulations were updated in December of 2016, and in effect as of January 1st, 2017.
How can I start Utility service?
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1ST, 2017 ALL NEW AND REINSTATED UTILITY ACCOUNTS WILL BE ESTABLISHED IN THE NAME OF PROPERTY OWNERS ONLY.
- May start services over the phone by calling 574-235-9236 and selecting Option 4;
- Complete the Online Utilities Application; or
- Visit the Customer Service Office to get started.
Property owners can still choose to have a copy of the billing statement mailed to the tenant at the service location, but as the primary account holder, the property owner will remain ultimately responsible for payment of the bill. Tenant information must be provided by the property owner.
What information do I need to begin Utility service?
- The Utility relies on ownership information provided publicly through the St. Joseph County Assessor's office. If you have recently purchased a new home or building, you will need to provide signed purchase documents to the Utility. Common purchase documents include:
- Closing Title Statement
- Purchase Agreement
- Deeds (Quitclaim, Warranty, Sheriff's Sale, etc)
- The Utility does not recognize those purchasing on land contract as owners until formal transfer of ownership.
- Customers are welcome to redact and/or blacken out any sensitive information from their purchase document they do not wish to share with the Utility.
- New owners who would like to schedule the start of service on a future closing date are welcome to do so, but will be expected to produce signed documents to the Utility within 72 hours of the closing.
These documents can be emailed to the Utility at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does it cost to start Utility service?
- ALL PAST-DUE BILLS MUST BE PAID PRIOR TO STARTING OR REINSTATING NEW SERVICE.
DEPOSITS: will be based on the credit worthiness of the applicant (property owner).
If the applicant has been a customer of any utility within the last two (2) years, no deposit will be collected if he/she:
Owes no outstanding bills for services rendered within the past four (4) years by any such utility;
During the last twelve (12) consecutive months that the service was provided, did not have more than two (2) bills that were past due to any utility or, if service was rendered for a period of less than twelve (12) months, did not have more than one (1) past due bill in such period; and
Within the last two (2) years did not have a service disconnected for nonpayment of a bill for services rendered by that utility.
If the applicant has not been a customer of any utility within the last two (2) years, no deposit will be collected if he/she satisfies any two (2) of the following criteria:
Has been employed by their employer for two (2) years;
Has been employed by their present employer for less than two (2) years, but has been employed by only one (1) other employer for the past two (2) years;
Has been employed by their present employer for less than two (2) years and has no previous employment due to recently graduating from a school, university, or vocation program or being discharged from military service; or
Owns or is buying their home.
Deposits shall not exceed one-sixth (1/6) of the estimated water and sewer billings for customers who fail to satisfy the above criteria.
START SERVICE FEE: $30.00.
How do I terminate my account?
- Complete the Termination Request Form online; or
- Call 311 or 574-235-9236 and select Menu Option 4.