The South Bend Home Improvement Program is currently under review. Application dates have not yet been set for 2018. Please check back here soon for an update.
Is your house in need of repair?
The time to inquire about the South Bend Home Improvement Program (SBHIP) is now.
The SBHIP application process has changed to one application deadline per year. Application dates have not yet been set for 2018.
South Bend homeowners, who are determined to be eligible, may receive a grant for certain approved home repairs such as roof, furnace, electrical, plumbing, or exterior items.
For questions, please call the 311 Call Center or 574-233-0311.
The South Bend Home Improvement Program (SBHIP) provides assistance for home repairs based on the following order of priority:
- Unsafe or hazardous conditions, including roof, electric, plumbing, heating, structural, and lead based paint
- Handicapped accessible items
- Gutters, doors, and windows
The SBHIP is available to an applicant one time only and to a home one time only. Applications are screened on a first come, first served basis. Each deeded owner must sign the SBHIP application and pay the $5.00 fee. Once the completed application is received, the file is forwarded to the Program Processor for review.
Eligibility Requirements for the South Bend Home Improvement Program
- PROPERTY: Property must be located within (city limits) of the City of South Bend, the applicant must own the home, and the home must be the owner's principal residence.
- INCOME: An applicant's qualifying income level is based on the total household income and the number of people living in the home as set by HUD income guidelines.
For more information on the South Bend Home Improvement Program, please call 574.235.9371.
Download South Bend Home Improvement Program Brochure English Version
Download South Bend Home Improvement Program Brochure Spanish Version