The City of South Bend values high-quality development that provides public benefit and community investment. The City recognizes that affordable housing is critical to meeting the needs of current and future residents. The Department of Community Investment works closely with developers, non-profits and the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA) to provide necessary documentation in support of LIHTC applications with the City.
In an effort to be responsive to developers seeking support for proposed LIHTC projects, as well as to provide thoughtful consideration of all requests, the City of South Bend has instituted a policy for accepting and reviewing such applications.
Requests for support must be submitted via the LIHTC Project Assistance Application. In addition to any new project applications, LIHTC projects that sought support from the City in previous years will be required to submit an application and all documentation for consideration.
- Low Income Houseing Tax Credit Assistance Policy*
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit Project Assistance Application+
In general, the City of South Bend will give preference to a project that:
- Aligns with the priorities stated in the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority’s (IHCDA) current Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP);
- Is located in an area with an adopted redevelopment or neighborhood plan;
- Incorporates a strategy of adaptive reuse or rehabilitation rather than new construction;
- Actively involves the neighborhood organization / stakeholders;
- Does not contribute to an over-saturation of affordable housing in a neighborhood;
- Demonstrates a high quality of design / construction; and,
- Can be funded with without public dollars from the City.
Key dates to note for the 2017 LIHTC application process:
- June 1: Pre-application period begins: Application, guidelines available on City website
- Sept 8: Applications due to DCI
- Sept 9 – Sept 30: Evaluation Period
- Oct 1 – Oct 9: Prepare Form C, letters of support
- Oct 10 – 21: Form C, letters of support due to developers
For more information contact:
- Lory Timmer 574.235.5841