***JANUARY 1, 2018 CHANGE***
The Building Department is no longer accepting applications for variances or special exceptions/uses. Please contact the Area Plan Commission for these types of applications.
Starting January 1, 2018 the Building Department will no longer be responsible for Zoning Administration and management of the Area Board of Zoning Appeals for the City of South Bend and St. Joseph County. This will become the responsibility of the Area Plan Commission. As well, Commercial and Sign permits will require an additional ILP review by the Area Plan Commission.
The department enforces the State of Indiana’s building codes.
- Energy Compliance Proposal Residential Form*
- Energy Compliance Proposal Residential Sunroom Form*
- Energy Compliance Residential Certificate Form*
Overlay Districts & Design Guidelines
All buildings require design review, and some areas, identified in the Overlay Districts (below) have additional design requirements. To find out what additional design regulations may apply to your property click here.
- Northeast Neighborhood Development Area Overlay District
- South Bend Central Development Area
- Outdoor Cafes & Street Vendors
- Studebaker Corridor Development Area
- West Washington-Chapin Development Area
- Airport Economic Development Area
If your property is in an Historic District or designated as an Historic Landmark you will need to contact the Historic Preservation Commission before making any applications for building permits.
To determine if your property is in an Historic District look it up here.
Contact the Historic Preservation Commission here.
For more information contact the building department at 574-235-9554 or email.