How do I file a claim against the City?
If you believe the City of South Bend is responsible for damage to your property or person, a claim must be filed with the City's Legal Department. Your claim will be investigated. For additional information, please call the Legal Department at 547.235.9241.
- The City of South Bend is self-insured for liability claims under Indiana law, I.C. 34-13-3-8.
- File a claim: According to Indiana law, a notice of claim against the City must describe in a short and plain statement the facts on which the claim is based, including:
- Circumstances which brought about loss;
- Extent of loss (please provide two (2) written estimates for property damage);
- Time and place loss occurred;
- Names of all persons involved, if known;
- Amount of the damages sought;
- Claimant's residence at time of loss and time of filing notice.
- The notice of claim should be sent to the address on the liability claim form.
- A claim against the City of South Bend must be received by the City within 180 days of the date of the incident.
- Submission of a claim does not mean that the City necessarily will pay the claim.
- The information listed above must be provided before the City may begin to process your claim.