All contractors, including subcontractors, must be registered or licensed with the Building Department in order to perform work in St. Joseph County and City of South Bend; with the exception that a residential owner-occupant of a dwelling may perform their own work. Click on the corresponding links below to get requirements, steps and forms for registration and licensing with the Building Department.
The 2020 Indiana Residential Code (based on the 2018 International Code) will now be in effect by the State.
- A free viewing of the Code Book.
Per IRC 310.1, ALL NEW home applications must also include a basement plan that shows at least one emergency egress window or door for a common space.
- YES! You need a permit for that.
- Building Permits
- Report An Unlicensed Contractor
- Request for Reciprocal Letter
CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION/LICENSE APPLICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Alarm Systems Contractor Registration
- Building Contractor Registration
- Cell Tower Contractor Registration
- Demolition Contractor Registration
- Electrical License Application
- Fire Suppression Contractor Registration
- Hood Installer Contractor Registration
- HVAC License Application
- Irrigation Contractor Registration
- Lead Abatement Contractor Registration
- Metal Fabrication Contractor Registration
- Moving Contractor Application
- Plumbing and Excavating Contractor Registration
- Radon Contractor Registration
- Refrigeration Contractor Registration
- Sign Contractor Registration
- Storage Tank Contractor Registration
- Water Softener Contractor Registration
REQUIRED FOR ALL CONTRACTORS
*Workers’ Compensation – (https://www.in.gov/core/business_guide.html)
*Workers’ Compensation Exemption – (https://www.in.gov/wcb/2328.htm)
*Workers’ Compensation Exemption Affidavit
Back to Main Page
125 S Lafayette BlvdSuite 100South Bend, IN 46601
Office Hours: M-F, 7:30 am-4:15 pm
Hours of Operations