The City of South Bend’s annual yard waste season begins Monday, April 1 and will run through the end of November. The program offers weekly pickup of yard waste such as grass clippings, brush and leaves, to residents who rent a city-furnished bin. Yard waste collection takes place on the same day as trash pickup. A 48- or 96-gallon yard waste bin is provided for $2 per month, or a total of $16, for the 2019-yard waste season. Residents looking to sign up for the yard waste program can visit southbendin.gov/yard-waste-container-request or call 311.
The City will also offer an amnesty period during the month of April for its extra yard waste pickups. During the amnesty period, the normal limit of ten 30-gallon biodegradable bags or a cubic yard of tied limbs for a free extra pickup will be waived; however, residents will only be able to request one free extra pickup for April. Additional pickup requests for the month will be charged at $20 per cubic yard. To schedule an extra pickup, residents can submit an online request at southbendin.gov/ywextrapickup or call 311.
For extra pickups, residents need to follow these guidelines:
- All bags must be the brown, biodegradable paper leaf bags and completely void of any trash debris.
- Branches need to be cut to four (4) feet or shorter, be no more than four (4) inches in diameter and bundled securely with twine into manageable bundles.
- All items must be curbside by 6:00 a.m. on trash pickup day.
- Yard waste needs to be away from any cars, containers, mailboxes, trees or any other obstructions. Items cannot be under any powerlines or branches.
- No plastic of any kind will be accepted.